So, the year ends, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to talk about goals accomplished in 2010, and the upcoming goals of 2011.
1) I'm an Author!!- RODD RACER celebrated a limited release...twice, and sold out in moments each time. This is especially thrilling since I wrote, and drew the comic myself. Ideally I would prefer to simply draw material written by other writers, but I never seem to find writers that want to write what I want to draw. So....that means I gotta write my own material, which is fine, cuz this way I can explore themes, metaphors, and genre that interest me. Writing is a craft unto it's self, and it's a mistake to think an artist can easily move into writing. The years I've spent learning how to draw are years I haven't learned how to write...so I need to spend thousands of hours learning the craft before I'll feel as confident as I am in art.
2) I'm a Publisher!!- I've self published thru Image Comics before, and created my own collectible zines before, but last year I finally had a chance to write, design, and pay a printer to bind my own work in a comic called RODD RACER. My publishing company is called "Punkrock*Jazz Publishing"...of course :)
My goal of the company is to publish high quality books, and art prints of my work...focused mostly on limited/collectible editions.
here is a sample of my limited edition Collector's Print for Rodd Racer's epic release at the New York Comic Convention 2010.
3) Strange Tales!!- I had a chance to play with Marvel's characters True Believers, and get paid for it. True, I've worked with Marvel before...almost 10 years ago I guess, but it's a whole new ballgame now. I had a chance to write my own story for them in STRANGE TALES Vol 2, issue #3, and it was an amazing experience.
1) Rodd Racer Wide Distribution!!- I'm planning a re-release of Racer with added material, and wide distribution thru Image Comics. Yes, I'm my own publisher now, however I can't manage the demand for the book, and this way my favorite publisher (other than myself) can help get more good comics to the masses. Also, rumor has it new colors for Racer might be involved.
2) SDCC!!- I haven't been to Mecca (San Diego Comic Con) of Geekdom in ages (3 years?) because it's grown out of control, and I'm usually busy, and very broke. 2010 was great for business, and I'm planning a big return to SDCC partnered with the fabulous Celia Calle. Rumor has it our booth is going to be the most amazing booth at SDCC.
3) KURSK!!- if you don't know, betta ask somebody! www.kurskcomics.blogspot.com
My new creator owned property takes me from the internet, and into your laps. Kursk is a new web comic which will be updated every week, and eventually collected into books. The goal is to have the first book available at SDCC in July.
4) Fit to Print!!- Punkrock*Jazz Publishing wants to publish limited edition art prints of the highest quality, and hopefully I can produce between 4-6 unique prints for framing, rock&rolling, and adoring.
5) Art in a Book!!- I hope to finally put a collection of some of my favorite pieces together in a fancy art book. The thing I'd really like to do is offer commentary on some of the work, including the thinking process, criticism, and technique. I miss teaching illustration, and I continue to get asked how I do certain things...also I want to make a book I wish were around when I was an excitable young artist looking for inspiration, and techniques.
Well, those are a lot of goals for 2011. I may not be able to live up to all of them, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
Happy New Year.